Southern Public Land Site
We have been away from the stands on this site for just under two weeks now. That should work out well for us given the other hunting pressure on this site. The rut is heating up with each passing day, so limiting the pressure we put on these stands now should pay off in about a week or so. We have two sets hung and we plan on splitting up and hunting both of these sites this weekend. The temperatures will be about 10 to 15 degrees higher then we want, but the end of October and the first part of November have proven to be great hunting days in the past. Plus, it would be nice to get a few sits under our belt in that new stand location along the dried river before the first part of November. We haven’t checked the trail camera on this location since the last update, but we plan on doing it after one of our hunts this weekend. Check back next Tuesday for an updated camera report. As you saw in the last update, we have a couple shooters to go after and hopefully these bucks will be on their feet during daylight this weekend.
Northeastern Public Land Site
This location has been a roller coaster ride for us. We started the season with huge expectations for this site. It was followed by a couple uneventful hunts with zero deer sightings, excitement over putting a trail camera out, and finally disappointment this past weekend when the trail camera returned only pictures of one doe and another hunter. We sat in the stand this last weekend struggling to figure out our next move after pulling trail camera cards and finding no deer on the pictures. We tossed around ideas about changing locations, only to come back to trying to stick it out on this site, and finally going with our instincts and pulling the stands down that night. With the rut fast approaching we knew we couldn’t waste any time. We speed scouted a new location with google maps will sitting in the stand that night and the next day we were putting boots on the ground in this new location. This spot is near our location from last year where we saw consistent deer sightings. We decided it was best to make a move to this new location because we saw no in person deer sightings and the trail camera showed no deer movement through the area. If anything, the change of scenery would improve our mindset going into the rut, which at times is half the battle. This new location is fairly high risk/high reward, but there is good cover, lots of food nearby, and most likely no other hunting pressure from other hunters. It gives the appearance of a spot a buck may go to escape hunting pressure or a place does will go during the lockdown phase of the rut. The season is not even half over and we are already onto plan B, we even have plan C waiting in the wings. We will see what happens when we trust our whitetail instinct. We will either be geniuses or fools. Only time will tell!!!